ECFiber Services: Installation & Scheduling
PLEASE REVIEW THIS INFORMATION BEFORE SUBSCRIBING AND SCHEDULING INSTALLATION
1. UNDERSTANDING OUR PROCESS: The first step in becoming an ECFiber Customer is to sign up for service by completing our online subscription. That puts you in our database and in line for a connection. You will not be billed until after our service is fully installed. When we receive your subscription, we will do an initial survey of your property to determine whether you are eligible for a standard outside connection or require something additional. Please read “How to Get Connected” so you know what to expect. Once the cable has been run from the nearest pole to the box on your premises (see description below), we will call you to schedule full installation. You must be home for a full installation.
2. INSTALLATION: ECFiber charges a modest installation fee of $99 for residences and $150 for businesses. For large or complex installations we assess an additional installation charge of $75 per hour for any installation work in excess of two hours. We will connect any premise that is within 400 feet of the nearest drop connection point on a utility pole, with an aerial fiber-optic cable, at no additional charge. For premises that are further away or that require underground cabling, additional fees may apply. Payment can be made over several months. Please see “How to Get Connected” for further details.
Network Interface Device
Installation involves installing a small cabinet or box, called an “NID” (Network Interface Device) on the outside of your building, usually next to your current utility box. ECFiber technicians will install a high-capacity data cable from the NID box to one location of your choice.
A router allows you to connect multiple wired and wireless devices. In some areas, customers are required to have or purchase their own wireless router, and our technicians will help connect it to our service at the time of the install. In other areas, the wireless router is built-in to the ECFiber equipment. Please ask the person calling you to schedule your installation if you need to have your own wireless router.
Battery back-up: As part of the installation process, ECFiber installers connect a battery back-up for your phone service so you will continue to be able to make calls in the event of a power outage. ECFiber can provide larger batteries at additional cost, or you can add supplemental emergency power sources on your own. ECFiber’s battery back-up will NOT supply back-up power to a router or telephone set; you should install a uninterruptible power supply (UPS) for your router or telephone set. If you want to keep the router working during a power outage, you will need to purchase a UPS, available at any electronics store (Staples, Best Buy, etc.).
The day of a full installation, you will need to be at the install location.
3. INTERNET SERVICES: ECFiber offers a choice of Internet speeds. Unlike cable modem or DSL service, ECFiber Internet service is symmetrical – that means you can send files and videos at the same speed as you receive them! ECFiber representatives will be happy to advise you as to the Internet service level most appropriate to your needs. You are not locked in to a particular service level, and we have no contracts. You may upgrade – or downgrade – at any time with a simple phone call or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. PHONE SERVICES: ECFiber phone services are a comprehensive package of functions that include, among others:
Unlimited local and long distance calling plus several calling features. Voicemail service is also available at no extra cost and it includes the option of receiving your voicemails as an attachment to your email.
Transferring your telephone service can take up to 10 days. There is a one-time telephone activation fee of $30 per line. Telephone user guides for residences and businesses will be sent via email once your lines have been transferred.
5. TELEPHONE NUMBER PORTABILITY:
Keeping your current telephone number(s) is not a problem. ECFiber asks that you DO NOT discontinue your current telephone service. We will handle the disconnection of your old line while transferring the number to our service. If you choose phone service, you will be required to complete a letter of agency (LoA) form. You can fill this out electronically or download the Letter of Agency HERE. Note that in order to move your existing phone number from your old provider to ECFiber, your account with your old provider must be current and in good standing. Transferring the telephone number can take 10 days or more. If you need to change the date and time of a scheduled phone transfer/hook-up visit, you must inform us at least 48 hours before your originally scheduled visit. This advance notice is necessary to insure that your telephone number is switched to our system properly – without any down time. If you do not give ECFiber proper notice, you will lose the ability to receive calls on the scheduled date of transfer, and lose the ability to place calls the following day. Two weeks after your ECFiber telephone service is installed, you should call your former telephone provider(s) to ensure that they no longer bill you for phone services.