Connecting to the ECFiber Network
ECFiber’s network has three main components: The fiber cable that runs on public utility poles (known as the “fiber pass”), the “drop” line that connects your home or business to the fiber pass, and the electronics at your premises. ECFiber will make a standard aerial drop from the nearest public utility pole on the fiber pass to the enclosure at your premises, at our cost, as long as the drop distance is no more than 400 feet. If you have an aerial drop that exceeds 400 feet or the drop be underground, additional fees may apply.
If you think you will have a non-standard drop, please review the options below. Payment for non-standard drops such as long aerial connections, can be added to your monthly bill in 3 to 12 month increments (interest free), depending on the total cost (see table below). You will need to make a request for such installment payments in advance. Please send any such request to Billing@ECFiber.net.
Installment Payment Plans
||Number of Monthly Installments
||Down Payment (minimum)
|$0.01 – $299.99
|$300 – $599.99
|$600 – $1,999.99
|$1,200 – $2399.99
NON- STANDARD DROP? YOU CAN EXPEDITE OUR BRINGING FIBER TO YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS. HERE’S HOW:
For non-standard drops (more than 400 ft from ECFiber’s main line), after a subscription has been submitted:
- A survey will be conducted for every premise to determine how utilities are ran. A quote will then be calculated with the measurement taken by the surveyor.
- Please be aware that some drops do not run along your driveway, or the most direct route from the nearest utility pole.
- Drops over 400 feet from where ECFiber is on the pole will incur a charge of $1 per foot for additional footage aerial or underground.
- After reviewing the quote if you would like to move forward with our service please send us a deposit for 50% of quoted amount.
- You may call our office at 802-763-2262 to make a deposit over the phone (credit card transactions will be charged an additional $4.00 for processing fee).
- If you would prefer to pay by check please include a notation on the check describing the purpose. Please send check payments to 415 Waterman rd, South Royalton Vt 05068.
For underground drops:
- If you have usable conduit (clear of breaks or debris and with functioning pull string) in place and are within 400 feet of the nearest pole, we will do the drop at our cost. Longer runs in existing conduit are treated the same as aerial drops.
- If you plan to install conduit with pull string by hiring your own contractor please include a notation on your subscription application or contact us letting us know that you intend to do so.
NOTE: It may be possible to get a pull string through your existing phone conduit by yourself or by hiring a contractor (usually an electrician.). If you do so:
- Shorter, newer, and wider conduits are the best for this.
- Some people have used a shop vac and/or leaf blower. Here are some guidelines.
ECFiber has a contractor that can ATTEMPT this at a cost of about $150 per segment.
In shorter underground drops, rigid snakes can be used to install pull string.
If your current conduit is not usable or none is present, and installation is required:
- You MUST call DIGSAFE (811) first! It is the law! They will mark phone/electric paths for free.
- Conduit should go from your utility pole to your house where the utilities boxes are located.
- Conduit must be a minimum of 1.5″ diameter for distances under 400 feet. Anything longer than 400 feet 2″ diameter conduit should be installed. Conduit should be “schedule 40 electrical” (not water pipe), and use long sweeps (not elbows, “LB’s or “L” shaped turns)
- Fiber can not be bent at harsh angles as it will cause a poor signal and will break.
- If you have an extremely long run please call our office for further instructions.
- Conduit must come up at least 1.5 – 2′ above grade at both the house and pole as well as secured to the pole and to house. Also, conduit on pole side must come up in the same quadrant as existing services.
- Conduit should be trenched 18″-24″ deep. Install tracer wire on the conduit for Dig Safe as ECFiber does not use “toneable” cable.
- If it is necessary to connect two sections of conduit you must be sure NOT to glue the interior pull string to the conduit when you glue together two sections
- Conduit should have a 210-250lb tensile-strength pull string installed
- Tie the pull string around the conduit and place a cap over the ends of the conduit to prevent water from entering
- Distances greater than 400′ should have a ‘pull site’ every 500′. Please call the office and consult with the Out Door Crew for requirements.
- No weather heads please. There is too high a risk for fiber to break and interrupt service.
If you would like ECFiber to install the conduit, be aware that our charges are $7/ft depending on conditions. Here are the steps to follow:
- Put your request for an estimate on your subscription form and/or send a request to email@example.com. We will survey your property and provide you with our cost estimate.
- If you accept the estimate please send us a deposit for 50% of the estimate noting the purpose on your check. When we do the drop, we will verify the actual footage and add any deficiency (or credit ) to your first bill. After receipt of your deposit we will call to schedule construction of your underground drop. Underground drops longer than 400 ft will also be assessed a $1/ft charge for footage over 400 ft.