West Windsor is a member of ECFiber, the East Central Vermont Telecommunications District, Vermont’s first Communications Union District. ECFiber is owned by its 24 member towns, and is a non-profit organization. Local taxpayer funds cannot be used to subsidize the District’s operations.
In April 2017 the District completed a $14.5 million offering of Series 2017A Bonds to refinance the remaining original debt, cover 2017 capital expenditures, and complete the design and make ready for 250 miles of construction in 2018. As of Dec 2017, 529 miles of fiber-optic network has been built and “lit” in the 21 member towns, serving about 2300 customers including approximately 81 in West Windsor. ECFiber plans to raise capital through the municipal bond market in 2018, 2019, 2020, and in order to complete 1400 miles of network covering all underserved locations in its 24 towns by 2020. ECFiber offers:
- Reliable high Internet speeds (in 2017at tiers of 17/40/200/700 Mbps), which are symmetrical (the same in each direction) and are not “up to” as offered by other providers.
- Simple, stable pricing with no contracts or data caps. Over the last three years, ECFiber has increased its speeds but not its prices.
- Local and personable customer service. Phones are answered by an employee during business hours without an automated queue.
- Local ownership and control – governing board members meet monthly to set policy and are actively involved in promoting ECFiber within the community.
- Valued community services. For example, ECFiber offers over 25 community anchor institutions (schools, town facilities, and libraries) its highest level of service for its lowest monthly fee.
West Windsor’s ECFiber Project
As of December 2017, 16 miles of ECFiber network has been constructed and lit in West Windsor. Delays to our project have occurred as a result of late make-ready work on behalf of the utility companies. The final utility pole preparation was supposed to be completed by December 8, 2017 but as at this time (12/21) we are still waiting on the utility companies. However, progress is being made. We have received licenses to all poles except for one small area in the northeastern portion of Town which should be forthcoming soon. Fiber is being installed in areas where we have pole licenses and ECFiber will connect homes as the network becomes available.
For additional information, visit the website(www.ecfiber.net), email (email@example.com) or call the office (802.763.2262) or West Windsor’s delegate to the ECFiber Governing Board (firstname.lastname@example.org).
West Windsor ECFiber Delegate