STRAFFORD is a member of ECFiber, the East Central Vermont Telecommunications District, Vermont’s first Communications Union District. ECFiber is owned by its 24 member towns, and is self-sustaining. Local taxpayer funds cannot be used to subsidize the District’s operations.
As of December 2017, 529 miles of fiber-optic network had been built and “lit” in parts of 21 member towns, serving 2300 customers, including 29 miles of fiber cable installed in STRAFFORD serving 177 local customers and counting.
In April 2017 the District completed a $14.5 million offering of Series 2017A Bonds to refinance the remaining original debt, cover 2017 capital expenditures, and complete the design and ‘make-ready’ for 250 miles of construction in 2018. ECFiber plans to continue to raise capital through the municipal bond market in 2018, 2019, and 2020 and to complete 1400 miles of network covering all underserved locations in its 24 towns by 2020. ECFiber is pleased to offer:
- Reliable high Internet speeds, which are symmetrical (the same in each direction) and are not “up to” as offered by other providers.
- Simple, stable pricing with no contracts, fine print, or data caps. Over the last two years, ECFiber has increased its speeds but not its prices.
- Local and personable customer service. Phones are answered by an employee during business hours without an automated queue.
- Local ownership and control – governing board members meet monthly to set policy and are actively involved in promoting ECFiber within the community.
- Valued community services. For example, ECFiber offers over 25 community anchor institutions (schools, town facilities, and libraries) its highest level of service for its lowest monthly fee.
In 2017 ECFiber continued its practice of raising speeds but not prices, by announcing that the District’s tiers of service would now be set at 17/40/200/700 Mbps.
More information is available at www.ECFiber.net or by contacting ECFiber at (802) 763-2262 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Delegates are Steve Willbanks, 765-4530, email@example.com and David Webb, 765-4025, firstname.lastname@example.org. Chuck Sherman, 765-9630, email@example.com is a Board member of ECFiber’s operational partner, ValleyNet.
Our thanks to Andy Behrens, formerly Strafford’s second alternate delegate to the ECFiber Governing Board, who some months ago resigned to work for ECFiber/ValleyNet.