Norwich is a member of ECFiber, Vermont’s first Communications Union District. ECFiber is owned by its 24 member municipalities, but under Vermont law the District’s operations, capital expenditures, etc. cannot be subsidized from local taxes.
In April 2017 the District completed a $14.5 million offering of Series 2017A Bonds to refinance remaining original debt, cover 2017 capital expenditures, and complete the design and make ready (pole preparation) for 250 miles of further construction in 2018. As of Dec. 31, 2017, 529 miles of fiber-optic network had been built and “lit” in parts of 21 member towns, serving 2282 customers including approximately 305 in Norwich. ECFiber plans to continue to raise capital through the municipal bond market in 2018, 2019, and 2020 and to complete 1400 miles of network covering all underserved locations in its 24 towns by 2020.
ECFiber is pleased to offer:
- Reliable high Internet speeds, which are symmetrical (the same in each direction) and are not “up to” (that is, ECFiber strives to actually provide the speeds for which its customers are paying at all times).
- Simple, stable pricing with no contracts, fine print, or data caps. Continuing its practice of raising speeds but not prices, in 2017 ECFiber announced that its tiers of service would now be 17, 40, 200, and 700 Mbps.
- Local and personable customer service. During business hours, phones are answered by an employee without an automated queue.
- Local ownership and control: Governing Board members appointed by their Select Boards advocate for their towns’ concerns and meet monthly to set District policy.
- Community services. For example, ECFiber provides its highest level of service to over 25 community anchor institutions (including Norwich Public Library) for its lowest monthly fee.
For additional information, visit the website, email or call the office, or contact Norwich’s delegates to the ECFiber Governing Board:
Irv Thomae (email@example.com) ; 649-5617
Rob Gere (firstname.lastname@example.org) ; 280-5192
Website: www.ECFiber.net | Office: (802) 763-2262 | Email: email@example.com